Almond milk is a wonderful and kind replacement to dairy milk. But unfortunately commercial almond milk is max 8% Almonds and the rest is water and thickeners! If you want the taste and the awesome purity of real almond milk (80%) then make it at home; it is easy!
PS. if you think it is too expensive, remember you can make the milk longer by adding more water; you will still have a better percentage of almonds than out of a carton!
1.5kg Raw Almonds
2 liters Filtered water
2 tbsp ground vanilla
1 tsp Himalayan Sea Salt
1 tbsp maple syrup
1. Soak almonds in water for 12 – 24 hours (i always start with hot water first)
2. Drain and rinse the almonds and if you want to take off the skin you can add an extra step:
2.1 pour boiling water on the almonds, leave for 15 minutes till you can touch the water, and remove the peel.
3. Once ready (with or without step 2.1) place almonds (1/2 of the blender’s jar) and vanilla in a good powerful blender (like Vitamix) – you will need to do this a couple of times.
4. Add fresh filtered water (2 x almonds depending on how thick you want the milk) and blend on high until the almonds are mixed and liquid/creamy
5. Slowly pour the mix in the milk bag a little at the time and squeeze the milk out
6. Save the milk in a glass jar or bottle and pulp in the freezer for desserts or oatmeal etc..
7. If you wish to add any extras, you can add in salt and maple or any other flavour of choice
V. / GF.